Doctor of Pharmacy is a 5-year education program. It is in the top five medical fields that are MBBS, BDS, DVM, Pharm-D, and DPT. In this field, a student learns composition, manufacturing, uses, effects, and side effect of a medicine. This field covers the area of discovery, development, production, distribution, dispensing, testing, and research of medicine. Physicians diagnose the disease, and pharmacist prepares the medicine for that disease. A pharmacist prepares drugs, medicine, ointment, powder, pills, tablets, and injections. In view of This, Pharmacy education in Pakistan has a vast scope.
This field is best for those students who are interested in the medical field. All universities and institutions of pharmacy must be recognized or approved by the Pharmacy Council of Pakistan. For admission in pharmacy education, a student must look at universities recognized by the pharmacy council. In this blog we will discuss the following questions:
- Scope Of PharmacyEducation In Pakistan,
- Careers for a Pharmacist in Pakistan
- Pharmacy Growth in Pakistan
- Pharmacy Degree Awarding Institutions in Pakistan
Scope of Pharmacy Education In Pakistan:
Pharmacy is an equally challenging program and has a broad scope.
Most pharmacists work in pharmaceutical companies where they involve in preparation, research, and development of medicine.
Pharmacists involve in the sale and marketing of medicine in which they inform the client of the use, effectiveness, and side effect of the medicine.
Large medical stores of Pakistan hire pharmacists, and they prescribe the medicine, and pharmacists counsel the client about the right use of medicine.
Pharmacists also have government jobs where they work in different government departments, hospitals, and the health sector. After a Doctor of Pharmacy Degree, they also join the army, navy, and air force.
Jobs are also available in Managed Care Organization, Public Healthcare Services, and Pharmacy association. A pharmacist also has a part-time and full-time job in teaching as college faculty. Pharmacist involves research in a different area.
Careers for a Pharmacist in Pakistan:
Pharmacy education is a multidisciplinary field and after the completion of a Pharmacy degree; a pharmacist can join bellow mentioned fields.
- Community pharmacy
- Hospital pharmacy
- Clinical Pharmacy
- Trainers of health workers, Occupational specialist
- Pharmaceutical research and technology
- Academicians managers
- Drug regulators, and Law enforcers
- Quality analyst
- Quality Assurance Managers
- Marketing and Sales Managers
- Drug procurement managers
- Utilization and supply managers
- Administers of pharmaceutical services and systems
- Drug information Consultants
- Drug development experts
- Drug research experts
- Clinical research
- Home care manager
- Long term care manager
- Promotional Pharmacist
- Pharmaceutical Marketing Managers
- Retail pharmacy
- Nuclear pharmacist
Pharmacy Growth in Pakistan:
In 1947 as Pakistan was an independent country, there was no institution to introduce Pharmacy education. In 1948 Punjab University offer pharmacy education. In 1964 University of Karachi setup the Pharmacy department.
Initially, the pharmacy was a 3-year program in 1978-1979; it was extended to 4 years. At that time, pharmacists show potential in pharmaceutical industries where they were involved in the production of pharmaceuticals. However, after some time, pharmacists were appointed in the public health sector, where pharmacists had a limited role in drug delivery, procurement, and inventory control.
In other developed countries, a pharmacist was recognized as a community pharmacist, hospital pharmacist, and connected with drug regulatory authority. However, these pharmacy services were not fully introduced in Pakistan. In 2003, the pharmacy profession paid attention to the clinical aspect; for that reason, it was extended to a five-year education program as a Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm-D) to introduce pharmacy services in hospitals and communities.
In the 5-year program, Pharm-D student does clerkship in the hospital to improve their skills as a clinical pharmacist. After completion of 5-year course work, the pharmacist does a specialized internship (residence pharmacist) for one year in a hospital to fulfill the expectation and needs of the society.
Pharmacy Degree Awarding Institutions in Pakistan:
Several universities offer pharmacy education on government and private sector in Pakistan.
Government sector (Punjab) who offer Doctor of Pharmacy degree:
|Universities||Entry test||Based on marks||Closing Merit|
|University of Punjab, Lahore||–||Fsc based||91.4909%|
|Quaid-e-Azam University, Islamabad||–||30% metric,70%||91.82 %|
|The University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences Lahore||MDCAT||50% MDCAT, 10%matric, 40% F.Sc||87.754%|
|Government College University, Faisalabad||–||Based on F.Sc||89.64%|
|University of Agriculture, Faisalabad||UAF test||UAF 40%, metric 30%, F.Sc 30%||82.2629%|
|University of Sargodha, Sargodha||Open merit||981 marks|
|The Islamia University Bahawalpur||MDCAT/NAT||81.745%|
|Lahore College for Woman University, Multan||–||984 marks|
|Bahaudin Zakariya University,Multan||–||1000
Government Sector Institutions Offering Pharmacy Degrees Outside Punjab:
Following Government, Sector Institutions are offering Pharmacy Degree outside the Punjab:
- Kohat University of Science and Technology, Kohat
- Abbottabad University of Science and Technology Abbottabad
- Federal Urdu University of Arts, Science and Technology Karachi
- University of Peshawar, Peshawar
- University of Malakand, Butkhela
- University of Swabi, Swabi
- University of Karachi, Karachi
- University of Sindh, Jamshoro
- University of Poonch, Rawalakot
- Balochistan University, Quetta
- Gomal University, D.I Khan
Private Sector Institutions offering Pharmacy degrees in Punjab:
These Private degree-awarding institutions are working in the field of Pharmaceutical education:
- Lahore College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Lahore
- Akhtar Saeed College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Lahore
- Margalla Institute of HealthSciences, Rawalpindi
- University of Central Punjab, Lahore
- The University, Lahore
- Hamdard University Islamabad
- Riphah International University, Islamabad
- The University of Lahore, Islamabad
- The University of Faisalabad
- Islam College of Pharmacy, Sialkot
- Hajvery University, Lahore
- The University of Lahore, Lahore
- University of Punjab, Lahore
Private Institutions offering Pharmacy Degrees outside the Punjab:
Following private degree-awarding institutions are offering Pharmaceutical degrees:
- Women Institute of Learning, Abbottabad
- Sarhad University of Science and Information Technology, Peshawar
- Abasyn University, Peshawar
- Baqai Medical University, Karachi
- Jinnah University for Women, Karachi
- Hamdard University, Karachi
- Ziauddin University, Karachi
- Jinnah Medical and Dental College, Karachi
- Akson College of Pharmacy, Mirpur
- Mohiuddin Institute of Pharmaceutical Science, Mirpur
Institutes Granted NOC to start Pharm-D (Government Sector):
In view of the Scope and market value of the pharmacy education in Pakistan following Government sector Institutions have been granted permission to start classes for Pharmacy degrees.
- COMSAT University, Lahore
- Abdul Wali Khan University, Mardan
- Health Sciences, Nawab Shah
- Liaquat University of Medical and Health Sciences, Jamshoro
- Jinnah Sindh Medical University, Karachi
- Shaheed Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto University, Larkana
- Shaheed Benazir Bhutto University, Sheringal
- Benazir Bhutto Shaheed University, lyari, Karachi
Institute granted NOC to start Pharm-D (private sector):
Following Private Degree awarding institutions have been allowed to get enroll new students for Pharmacy degrees.
- Riphah International University, Lahore
- Nazeer Hussain University, Karachi
- Leads College Of Pharmacy, Lahore
- Barrett Hodgson University, Karachi
- Johar Institute Of Professional Studies, Lahore
- Rashid Latif College Of Pharmacy, Lahore
- Shaheed Benazir Bhutto Dewan University, Karachi
- Forman Christian College, Lahore
- Pakistan Institute Of Professional Studies, Abbottabad
- Abasyn University, Islamabad
- Yusra Institute Of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Rawalpindi
- University Of Lahore, Gujrat
- Gulab Devi Educational Complex, Lahore
- M Islam College Of Pharmacy, Gujranwala
- Southern Punjab Institute Of Health Sciences, Multan
- Shifa Tameer-i- Millat University, Islamabad
Read also: Uses of Opioid and Its Effects
The pharmacist still faces problems in their recognition to a healthcare professional and public due to lack of interaction with them. In earlier times, pharmacists are responsible for the manufacturing and supply of medicines. Nevertheless, today pharmacists also have clinical orientation and do duty in hospitals. The government also takes action in the promotion of pharmacy in Pakistan. The pharmacy council exists under the provision of the Pharmacy Act of 1967, that control the practice and education of pharmacist in the country. Pharmacy council issue the license through which the pharmacist can practice in the country.
The five-year pharmacy education program is now extended to six-year to meet society’s needs. For the development of pharmacy in Pakistan, actions are required to provide more facility of pharmacy services to the public. then the real Pharmacy education in Pakistan will be available that will help people as well as Pharmaceutical Companies.
Author: Saba Gull, Sabagull99h@gmail.com